History of Boys & Girls Club of Whittier
The Boys & Girls Club of Whittier was founded in response to a community's need to provide youth with a place to go for guidance, learning, fun, development, and the opportunity for character building. In 1964, a stubborn fire fighter named Maurice Eisenman, ignored the "it can not be done" comments, incorporated the Whittier Boys Club with the support of the Whittier Fire and Police Association. The Club doors opened in 1967 in the former City fire station on Greenleaf Avenue, which was replaced at the same site in 1972 with the present 19,000 square foot structure. In 1980, the Club expanded to include girls, and in 1987 officially became known as the Boys & Girls Club of Whittier.
History of Boys & Girls Clubs of America
Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with several women in Hartford, Conn. Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. A cause was born.
In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations – this marked the start of a nationwide Movement. In 1931, the Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America. In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter. To recognize the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization's name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter. 2006 marked the Centennial year of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, as we celebrated 100 years of providing hope and opportunity to young people across the country.